Friday, August 26, 2011

Fright Night (2011) -- My After Thoughts --

I totally forgot I watched this movie last week. If you have never seen the original FRIGHT NIGHT (1985), I would suggest to pick up a copy or stream it over netflix if you are looking for a very retro horror movie experience. The remake itself was, to put it in lament terms... Alright. The remake was a nice theater experience, but it could have been way better if the filmmakers did a little bit of tweaking with the script. Things like, taking care of some continuity errors and beefing up some of the characters. If these problems could have been fixed before film production, FRIGHT NIGHT(2011) could have been one of the best vampire horror movies of this generation. But, it falls a little short. Just barely though. Should these type of flaws deter you, the average movie goer, from seeing this movie... No.



What I loved about the remake is its ample amount of blood, gore, action, and grade A-acting. Anton Yelchin was cool as the leading protagonist, exuding a sort of Marty Mcfly charisma. He was the cool teen who still has a little bit of dorky-ness inside him. Colin Farrell played Colin Farell, playing a cool vampire. The dude had alot of fun with the role.  Imogen Poots was good as the sincere/hottie/girlfriend who can pack a punch and Toni Collette gave a nice added depth to what I thought was a paperless role for her. David Tennat was foul mouthed, hilarious, and cool as Peter Vincent. The dude was no Roddy McDowall.



My major peeve with the film was the entire third act. I thought the climax was rushed, the filmmakers could have beefed up the last 20 pages with more action and a more climactic resolution. If you watched the original, there is about 20 pages of climactic action and suspense that leads to a bittersweet resolution. In the remake, it felt like 10 pages of climactic action with an OK resolution. Nevertheless, I still had fun with the movie.

So, should you go watch this movie? Yes. No sparkling vampires included.

Are there any cameos from the actors of the original? Yes.

Should I watch this movie over Conan? I haven't seen CONAN THE BARBARIAN. But, sure, why not! I heard its not doing good anyway...

Audience Reaction: People generally loved it and laughed at every moment that was suppose to be funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment