Saturday, August 13, 2011

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes -- My After Thoughts --

Okay, so, I watched RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES last Thursday at the movie tavern with my friend Jaret and these are "my after thoughts". First off, I loved this freaking movie! I was very surprised by the story, characters, special effects, and the super cool and often subtle references to the iconic original PLANET OF THE APES. I wouldn't call this film a 'reboot' of the series but a nice addition to the original series itself. Forget the dull lackluster Tim Burton remake with Marky Mark, that movie is not canon with this story. 

I read some reviews from film critics complaining about James Franco's 'phoning it in' acting performance. Honestly, I thought he was good, I really felt for the guy. He spends the whole movie trying to find the 'cure' and, well, lets just say it doesn't go well for him. If anything, the only character I thought needed a revision was the love interest played by Freida Pinto. Just a tad revision. Nothing major. But, she was still good in her role. Very sympathetic. John Lithgow added a very nice performance as Franco's dad who is diagnosed with Alzheimer. You can really feel the way he is losing grasp of everything around life. I lament, Andy Serkis portrayal of Caesar is most impressive! I think he deserves all this talk about Oscar nomination. You will love him, feel bad for him, and root for him when he finally rises...

So, final questions.

Is this movie worth seeing? Yes! Go ape! 1970's style!

Should you see this movie with a packed audience inside a theater auditorium? Yes! This movie is definitely a 'crowd pleaser'.

Does Charlton Heston make a cameo? No, you dumb ape! He's dead!

AUDIENCE REACTION: Lets just say there was a collected gasp in the audience during one very, very pivotal scene... Its good!

No comments:

Post a Comment